Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
Outstanding Local Unit Achievement Award
This award recognizes the outstanding achievement of a local unit for sustained leadership or a special project benefiting SAF, the forestry profession, and the practice of forestry. The rating system is designed to provide equal opportunity to local units of all sizes.
The award is presented at the SAF national convention and includes an honorarium of $500 to support the local unit’s programs, one complimentary SAF convention registration for a representative to be chosen by the local unit, and up to $500 to offset convention travel expenses by the local unit representative.
Any state society, division, or chapter is eligible. A local unit that has received this award in the previous five years is ineligible. Local unit self nomination allowed.
Evaluation will be based on the following criteria:
- Advocates for the practice of forestry in the areas of professional credibility, forest policy, and the application of sound forest science.
- Provides exceptional membership value and quality programs and services critical to member success. Examples include, but are not limited to development of initiatives in the areas of professional recognition; continuing education opportunities; public education projects; innovative communication; enhancing member competency; and providing member engagement opportunities.
- Promotes growth of membership. Examples include, but not limited to development of recruitment and retention initiatives; support of diversity and inclusiveness; mentorship; community involvement; leadership development; and employer support programs.
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility, transparency, and accountability. Examples include but not limited to timely IRS tax reporting; budget approval and management; established financial processes; fundraising; and other financial strategies that ensure the long-term financial health of the unit.
The nomination packet must include:
- A letter of nomination demonstrating that the nominee meets the award criteria, with each criterion addressed separately in a brief paragraph.
- Letters of endorsement, not to exceed three (in addition to the nomination letter), on the nominee’s achievements of the award criteria.
- A digital image of a minimum 300 dpi of the local unit in action.