Presidential Field Forester Award
The Presidential Field Forester Awards recognize foresters that have dedicated their professional careers to the application of forestry on the ground using sound, scientific methods and adaptive management strategies. The awards will be presented to individuals who have displayed uncommon talent, skill, and innovative methods to achieve a record of excellence in the application of forest management.
The award is presented at the SAF national convention.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Must be a member of SAF.
- Must have practiced forestry for at least 15 years.
- A major portion of their career must be in the field application of forestry.
- May be from any employment sector.
- Must be recognized locally or regionally by peers for excellence in field application of forestry.
- Understands the forest and uses science, along with adaptive management process, to achieve landowner objectives and ensure forest sustainability.
- Management intensity may range from very intensive applications to more extensive management regimes.
Due to regional differences in both application intensity and regulations affecting forestry operations, the presidential field forester recipients will be selected on a regional basis. Using the existing organizational structure, each SAF Board member will select and/or endorse an outstanding field forester from the District they represent. The Board member may solicit candidates from state society chairs, and from those nominations, select a nominee for recognition, or use any other process that will select a worthy candidate based on the eligibility and criteria.
Your nomination packet must include:
- Letter of nomination that addresses eligibility; criteria; current or most recent position and employer; and why the candidate is deserving of the award; and
- Recent, digital headshot photograph of a minimum of 300 dpi